After a long wait, ground has finally been broken for the Stonehaven Market Square Community Garden today!
The project will create a beautiful, uniquely designed civic space at the North Pend of the Market Square Buildings beside the Granite Fountain, providing a focal point in the centre of the town for locals and visitors alike to come and enjoy in the town centre.
The garden is a result of a true collaboration by local groups and businesses, by Stonehaven for Stonehaven:
- Idea agreed by members of the Stonehaven Town Centre Improvement Group (STCIG)
- Funding gained by Stonehaven Business Association (SBA) from the Aberdeenshire Council “Phoenix” Fund and the Scottish Government Town Centre Fund with planning permission gained in February 2021
- The lease for the ground has been taken on by the Stonehaven Town Partnership (STP)
- Design by Nikki Ritchie of Hyve Architects
- Construction of the hard landscaping is being carried out by Grieg Walker and his team at local firm Bridgefield Services Ltd
- Fabrication of planters and benches by local firm Hutchison Plant Services
- Planting by the Horizon Group
During the works the north entrance to the car park will be shut to protect both the workmen and the public. Work is expected to last approximately 4-5 weeks.