AT their meeting tomorrow evening (Tuesday, 7pm) Stonehaven and District Community Council will hear a briefing on the statutory consultation for proposals to replace Dunnottar and Carronhill Schools.
Dunnottar Primary School has been in service since 1889. Now, it is the only primary school in the Shire to score a C for overall suitability and it rates D for accessibility. Key issues are the lack of accessibility throughout the school, constrained outdoor spaces and the difficult internal layout.
Meanwhile Carronhill School was not purpose-built and does not meet the severe and complex needs of the children attending. Identified issues relate to the internal layout, lack of appropriate toileting facilities and the limited availability of accessible outdoor space for the 40 pupils who currently attend.
Last September, it emerged Aberdeenshire Council had considered various locations for the replacement of the two schools. The preferred option was to relocate both to new facilities at Mackie Academy.
Public consultation needed before preferred option can go ahead
The project to replace the schools is costed at £18.5 million. As well as the schools’ relocation, a rezoning exercise will be undertaken – so a statutory consultation must take place before going forward.
Representatives from Aberdeenshire Council’s learning estates team are to join tomorrow’s meeting of SDCC, to brief them on the statutory consultation exercise.
The Scottish Government has a publication describing the consultation process, which is available online. For those interested in hearing the SDCC members’ briefing, you can join the Zoom meeting using the link below.
Full meeting agenda and link to meeting
Agenda: Stonehaven and District Community Council,
Business Meeting, 11th January 2022, 7pm
- Chairperson’s Welcome
- Roll-call & recording?: KS
- Apologies & Declarations of Interest
- Police Report & Matters Arising
- Dunnottar and Carronhill Statutory Consultation: Learning Estates Team
- Approval of last minute
- Matters Arising from Last Minute
Live unresolved concerns:
- Future of day care within Stonehaven: Invercarron Resource Centre
- Planning Report & Reviews: KS
- Treasurer’s Report: DL
- Aberdeenshire Council’s review of planning delegations: DL
- Hannah Dyson Award: AL
- Correspondence: AL/DB/PC
- AOCB (NB special circumstance items only)
- Date of Next Meetings:
- Agenda Discussion Meeting: 1st February 2022
- Business Meeting: 8th February 2022
Caried forward to future meetings:
- Aberdeenshire Council & Nestrans update on active travel plans for Stonehaven
- Local Development Plan
- Mackie Academy Campus
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app Click here to join the meeting
Previously in The Bellman