THE trustees of Stonehaven Recreation Grounds are applying for listed building consent for repairs and maintenance at the pavilion, which first opened in 1909.
And a wealth of history of the grounds and its C-listed centrepiece is detailed in the heritage impact assessment included in the application documents.
Photographs taken from the Tolbooth Museum website accompany the historical account of the grounds, which were formed in 1884 on land previously used as farmland and salmon ponds – the draining of which was likely a challenge for the first groundsman, a Mr Robert Ross of Slug Road.
The development of the facilities over the ensuing years is discussed, along with a history of the two sports making their Stonehaven homes there – tennis and bowls. Historical maps help illustrate the development of the grounds, which are hailed in the report as, ”an important part of the development of Stonehaven in the latter half of the nineteenth centure and represent the civic improvment during the merger of the old and new towns in 1889.”
Full details of the works proposed for the works proposed at the building are available online, along with a facility to comment.